Arrhythmia & Cardiac Device Management
Helping To Take Control of Your Heart Rhythm
Your heart is something that from the beginning of your life you know is a serious item to protect. If you are ever experiencing palpitations, racing or sluggish heartbeats, lightheadedness, dizziness, or unexplainably passing out (syncope), it is important that you seek medical attention right away. But we know that you do not want to spend the rest of your life tied to a hospital bed, stuck there in the arresting anticipation of another event. For qualified patients, we aim to solve these dilemmas.
The board-certified and widely experienced cardiologists at Brookhaven Cardiac in Patchogue are equipped to figure out what may be wrong with your heart rhythm or rate. We may prescribe mobile heart monitoring devices designed to let select patients with heart conditions enjoy their daily lives. Of course, these devices are not substitutes for medical treatment and often serve as alarm systems that cannot be ignored if their readings indicate a possible threat. If we find out that your heart beats too slowly, dangerously fast, or just that your heart pumps to weakly, you may need a permanent pacemaker or implantable cardiac defibrillator.
Common Heart Monitoring Devices
If you are an experienced patient, these devices may very well be ones that you have heard of throughout your heart treatment. But for those who are newly finding themselves in need of them, we’ve provided brief overviews of their objectives and requirements of each patient.
Qualified patients with certain heart conditions may benefit from the following:
Electrocardiogram (ECG) & Event Monitoring
- Tests at our office allow our cardiologists in Patchogue to see how your heart is doing at a particular moment in time with an electrocardiogram (ECG). A cardiac event recorder allows you to record your heart’s activity continuously as you go about your day when you have symptoms of palpitations, lightheadedness, dizziness, or even passing out (syncope).
- Unfortunately, if your symptoms come and go, you may need additional cardiac care away from our office. Event monitoring allows us to provide this care.
- When simple ECG cardiac monitoring devices are not sufficient, our cardiologists can implant small sized devices called Implantable Loop Recorders under the skin with a minute puncture. Monitoring can last up to a period of 3 years if needed.
Atrial Fibrillation & Arrhythmia Management
- If you have an irregular heartbeat, you need regular preventive cardiac care to monitor the situation and ensure that it doesn’t worsen or begin to cause heart damage. An irregular heartbeat can cause blood clots, strokes, or even heart failure, so you must manage it closely.
- At Brookhaven Cardiac, we provide atrial fibrillation (Afib) and arrhythmia management to help you maintain a high quality of life as you manage your symptoms. This is also performed in conjunction with an Anticoagulation Clinic in which care can be directed regarding thinning your blood to reduce stroke and blood clot risks.
Pacemaker & Defibrillator Management
- If you have a pacemaker or defibrillator implanted to help maintain your heart rhythm, it can save your life. However, these devices need consistent follow-up and monitoring to check for malfunctions.
- Our doctors also educate you about lifestyle changes and help you manage them over time.
Contacting Your Esteemed Cardiologists
We at Brookhaven Cardiac are assembled as some of the finest cardiac specialists in Long Island NY. As such in a small practice, we can afford the time to fully inform our patients and provide a level of care matched by few in the area. We want to see you better, and we make every effort to do so.
Call us today at (631) 364-0085 today to speak with one of our cardiac specialists in Patchogue about your heart rhythm problem or cardiac device management.